Maybe it's fixed. I had exactly the same problem during the installation
of python-fchksum. This is on b.g.o. too and we discussed this on
gentoo-dev a while ago. Python had the compiler it is built with hard
coded and python-fchksum was built before Python during ``emerge
system''.

I had to ``emerge --oneshot python'' before ``emerge system''. If it
works without this trick, let's hope this dependency bug is fixed now.

Regards
Frank