On Wednesday 10 Aug 2016 19:26:56 Mick wrote:

> Peter, I recall you being a long term sufferer of Kmail2 problems, which I
> do not experience here.

Yes, I have some old archives preserved as tar.bz2 files, but I can't import
them into KMail because of some internal damage to many of the messages. I
think the damage was caused by a gradually developing hardware problem
(which has eventually forced me into replacing the whole box), and KMail,
akonadi and friends can't handle the mess. They aren't what I would call
defensively programmed. They either throw wobblers or refuse to co-operate
at all.

So I have the basic data and can use standard tools to examine them if
necessary; that will have to do for now. Meanwhile, KMail is working happily
with stuff originating on the new box - apart from the apparently inevitable
duplicate messages of course.

> Have you tried running a stand alone SQL?  I am running postgresql and
> things have been quite uneventful since I made the switch.

Is there some documentation on how to do that? I doubt it would help me
because the problem smells like higher up the stack, but you never know...

--
Rgds
Peter