tiesman wrote:
On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 10:03:39AM -0500, kashani wrote:

Mark Shields wrote:

qmail!  I use it on my home server and I love it.

Didn't he say something about a simple MTA? :-)

Exactly kashani. I do thank you Mark, for a quick answer. But can you also give
me an example config file (or any clues, to get it up and running), because it
is the whole intention to find a MTA suitable for a quick install (or a complex
MTA, with some kind of noob 'config-mode').
  Don't get me wrong, if there's no way of making this work easy, I'll dig in a
mail sysadmin guide or so. But I think it would be useful to have a simple MTA
available for Gentoo, wouldn't it?

The problem is that doing local delivery properly does require some infrastructure. However a stripped down local server could probably drop most of the queuing that goes on in an MTA. The final package is still going to be complicated enough which is why a psuedo MTA isn't an interesting problem for anyone capable of writting a real mail server. Or at least that's my take on it.

In any case this should get Postfix working within 15 minutes including compile

emerge postfix
        You might need to unmerge ssmtp before you install postfix
vi /etc/mail/aliases
        point to root to a local account
newaliases
        makes your aliases active
vi /etc/postfix/main.cf
ctrl +g to get to the bottom, add these lines
myhostname = hostname.yourdomain.com
mydomain = yourdomain.com
myorigin = $myhostname # or you can make it $mydomain
inet_interfaces = all # or set to localhost if you don't want the server to be able to receive any email mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, localhost, $mydomain # or some subset of these.
mynetworks_style = subnet
mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8 # and any other IP's you'd like to allow to relay though I don't think you need any

/etc/init.d/postfix start
postconf -n
so you verify the right settings are what Postfix is using. If this is off look at the main.cf and delete any duplicates. IIRC Postfix uses the last config which is why we put all the configs at the end of the config file.
rc-update add postfix default

While not simple I think Postfix is one of the easier MTA's to get up and running quickly.

kashani