On 01/09/2016 22:08, Kai Krakow wrote:
Am Tue, 30 Aug 2016 08:47:22 +0100
schrieb Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk>:

On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 08:34:55 +0200, Kai Krakow wrote:

Surprise surprise, 4.7 has this (still not fully fixed) oom-killer
bug. When I'm running virtual machines, it still kicks in. I wanted
to stay on 4.6.x until 4.8 is released, and only then switch to
4.7. Now I was forced early (I'm using btrfs), and was instantly
punished by doing so:

No one forced you to do anything. You 4.6 kernel was still in boot,
your 4.6 sources were still installed. The ebuild was only removed
fro the portage tree, nothing was uninstalled from your system unless
you did it. Even the ebuild was still on your computer in /var/db/pkg.

Of course nobody forced me. I just can't follow how the 4.7 ebuild
kind-of replaced the 4.6 (and others) ebuild in face of this pretty
mature oom-killer problem.

Removal of a 4.6 series ebuild also means there would follow no updates
- so my next upgrade would "force" me into deciding going way down
(probably a bad idea) or up into unknown territory (and this showed:
can also be a problem). Or I can stay with 4.6 until depclean removed
it for good (which will, by the way, remove the files from /usr/src).

I think masking had been a much more fair option, especially because
portage has means of displaying me the reasoning behind masking it.

In the end, I simply was really unprepared for this - and this is
usually not how Gentoo works and always worked for me. I'm used to
Gentoo doing better.

Even if the 4.6 series were keyworded - in case of kernel packages they
should not be removed without masking first. I think a lot of people
like to stay - at least temporary - close to kernel mainline because
they want to use the one or other feature.

And then my workflow is always like this: If an ebuild is removed, it's
time to also remove it from my installation and replace it with another
version or an alternative. I usually do this during the masking phase.

Was the ebuild removed from arch or ~arch?

If arch, then you have a point.
If ~arch, then you don't have a point. Gentoo has pretty much always expected you to deal with $WHATEVER_HAPPENS on ~arch. There has never been a guarantee (not even a loose one) that anything will ever stick around in ~arch.

Alan