Mick wrote:
> On Thursday 01 Sep 2016 22:57:12 Kai Krakow wrote:
>
>> Regarding performance:
>>
>> I wish Linux had options to relocate files (not just defragment) back
>> into logical groups for nearby access. Fragmentation is less of a
>> problem, the bigger problem is data block dislocation over time due to
>> updates. In Windows, there's the wonderful tool MyDefrag which does
>> magic and puts your aging Windows installation back into a state of an
>> almost fresh installation by relocating files to sane positions.
>>
>> Is there anything similar for Linux?
> Dale will pop in soon to mention the defrag application he was running on
> reiserfs, but a potentially more effective defrag method irrespective of fs
> (we're talking about spinning disks where this issue applies) is tar off/tar
> on
> your data.

Now someone is asking for me to post something.  ROFL

Script should be attached.  Be forewarned, I have not used this script
in ages.  I have no clue if it works or not or if it will totally screw
up anything and everything.  I would recommend trying it on something
that doesn't matter or maybe a directory full of copied files to be
sure.  If it hoses your system, it's not my script and you been warned.
I'm not even sure where I got it from.  Might be the forums but could be
anywhere.

By the way, I switched to ext4 and it has a defrag command of its own.
Just man e4defrag for details, assuming you have the ext utilities
package installed.  That would be sys-fs/e2fsprogs by the way.  I
*think* it works on ext3 as well but not sure.  Everything here is ext4
except /boot which is ext2.

I guess this is the benefit of large hard drives.  I don't have to
delete stuff even if I don't use it for a long time.  lol

Y'all have fun.

Dale

:-)  :-)