> On 01/09/16 16:04, gevisz wrote:
>>
>> I have bought an external 5TB Western Digital hard drive
>> that I am going to use mainly for backing up some files
>> in my home directory and carrying a very big files, for
>> example a virtual machine image file, from one computer
>> to another. This hard drive is preformatted with NTFS.
>> Now, I am going to format it with ext4 which probably
>> will take a lot of time taking into account that it is
>> going to be done via USB connection. So, before formatting
>> this hard drive I would like to know if it is still
>> advisable to partition big hard drives into smaller
>> logical ones.
>>
>> For about 20 last years, following an advice of my older
>> colleague, I always partitioned all my hard drives into
>> the smaller logical ones and do very well know all
>> disadvantages of doing so. :)
>>
>> But what are disadvantages of not partitioning a big
>> hard drive into smaller logical ones?
>>
>> Is it still advisable to partition a big hard drive
>> into smaller logical ones and why?
>>

> I use 2TB USB drive with one EXT4 partition.
> Took about 30 seconds to format connected to a USB2 port.

May be. But I have just finished testing its first 41 GB with
# badblocks -sw -b4096

Three passes with different write patterns took about 2 hours 10 minutes,
that is about 33 minutes per pass.

So, the full one-pass write test with badblocks should take about 3 days,
if I do not err in my calculations.

The same amount of time should take formatting it with
# mke2fs -cc
But I have not tried that so far.

> Testing the drive with dd and copying files to the
> drive is very slow. Don't touch "Green Drives".
> They die like flies.

What do you mean by this?

My WDC WD15EADS (it is Green) already works (hosting my /home)
for more than 10 years and the systems reports that it is still ok.
(I work at this computer from 6 to 8 hours daily.)