On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 11:45:26PM +0000, Grant Edwards wrote

> Would anybody care to make a recommendation?

  How about ditching "Desktop Environment" altogether and using a
"Window Manager" instead?  I use ICEWM.  It has to be configured with a
text editor, but you can then set it and forget it.

> The requirements are:
>
>   * simple and lightweight

      Yup.

>   * support for multiple displays[1]

      Can be done by xrandr / xorg.conf See...
      https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/multihead

>   * support for multiple virtual desktops on each display (I
>     currently run 4 virtual desktops on each of 3 displays)

      I run 11 virtual desktops on one screen.

>   * must have focus-follows mouse and must be able disable
>     "raise-on-click"

      You probably want to select the "PointerFocus" option listed at
      http://www.icewm.org/FAQ/IceWM-FAQ-5.html

>   * some sort of easily modifiable root-window menu that I can use to
>     start apps
>
>   * some sort of task-bar (auto-hide required)
>
>   * some sort toolbar OK (as long as it's auto-hide)

      Got it all.  But you have to edit the config file with a text
      editor.  ICEWM allows you to make ~/.icewm/menu (the root menu) a
      symlink to ~/.icewm/toolbar if you wish.  Their content will then
      be identical.

>   * GTK-based strongly preferred -- I typically don't have Qt or any
>     KDE stuff installed, and have some custom-written GTK apps on
>     which I'm rather dependent.

      Does not pull in either GTK or QT.  It's a WM (Window Manager) not
      a DE (Desktop Environment).

>   * I don't want a file manager, terminal emulator, or any other
>     bundled apps, so it would be nice if they were all optional,
>     separate ebuilds

      An advantage of a WM

> I don't want any storage auto-mounter, network manager, modem manager,
> or any of that sort of thing.  Anything with "manager" in the name is
> probably right out.

      An advantage of a WM

> All I want is something to run urxvt terminals and xemacs windows --
> with maybe an instance of firefox, chrome, or wireshark.  I also
> occasionally run libreoffice or xfreerdp, but only under duress.

  I run mostly web browsers, gnumeric, and some xterms

> I don't want any icons or folders or shortcuts or whatnot on the
> desktop.

      An advantage of a WM

> I don't even need the ability to use an image as my desktop
> "wallpaper": all I want is a user-configurable sold color.

  Available, but not mandatory.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>