Michael Mol wrote:

> On Wednesday, October 12, 2016 11:54:48 PM Jörg Schaible wrote:
>> Anyone? After upgrading a second machine to KDE/Plasma 5, I have the same
>> behavior there. All KDE-4-based apps fail to interact with the file
>> system. Using KMail I can no longer add any attachment to an email nor
>> save an existing attachment to disk.
>
> I'm running KMail (Gentoo doesn't have the KDE5 version in tree yet, so
> KDE4), and I send file attachments all the time. So I can say it's at
> least not *intrinsically* broken...

As already said, it is not KMail, it affects any KDE4-based app ... and
there are still a lot of them.

> Much of KDE4 and KDE5 wind up installed side by side, FWIW. I'd suggest
> cycling through emerge @preserved-rebuild, revdep-rebuild, depclean, and
> see if that shakes something loose.

My dependency tree is fine.

> The KDE4->KDE5 transition was generally a royal PITA for me, too, though I
> can't remember what all broke...

I did it in the last 4 weeks on 3 machines. Two have this problem, the third
does not.

However, it has to be something in the local configuration. If I log into
another (unused) account in this machine, I don't have this problem :-/

Cheers,
Jörg