On Friday 23 Sep 2016 10:36:23 J. Roeleveld wrote:
> On Friday, September 23, 2016 09:13:00 AM Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > I still get the rapid flickering and general confusion though, which is
> > cured by logging out and in again.
> I just tested on my desktop by madly switching desktops for 2 minutes
> using the keyboard bindings (CTRL + F1..4) and didn't see this happening.
> > * That was the only relevant package to have such a USE flag, according
> > to "equery h -p evdev".

I can't yet prove it, but I think I know the culprit: BOINC manager. If I
don't run it, I get all my desktops running properly, but if I do, the
window manager gets confused about which desktop is on display and tries to
display bits of several of them, overlapping, missing, showing through,
flickering, you name it. The bug persists even if I shut down boincmgr
before the problem appears.

It may have something to do with focus stealing, because I had to raise the
prevention setting one or two notches to be able to switch away from
boincmgr's desktop. If it is so, I suppose it's a consequence of coding for
Windows with only a single desktop in the entire known universe.