On Sun, Nov 20, 2016 at 10:32:25AM -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Rich Freeman <ri...@gentoo.org> writes:
>
> > Are you building in a tmpfs?  That would perform better than an ssd
> > and would be much less wear on your flash besides.  Of course, some
> > packages do take a while to build.  I don't notice as much now that I
> > do most of my building from cron, but it can be painful when you have
> > dependency chains or soname changes.
>
> I hope this isn't more low grade density on my part but you do mean a
> tmpfs on the vm right?

I'm not Rich but I'm sure that's what he means. I have an SSD, and using
a tmpfs for building speeds up builds significantly - probably 10-15%.

This will mean that you'll need a significant amount of memory allocated
to the VM. Mounting a tmpfs defaults to half of the memory available to
the machine, which seems like a decent rule of thumb. If you give the VM
8GB of memory, the tmpfs will have 4GB of space.

Alec