Martin Ullrich schreef:

> Martin
>
> 2005/10/5, Holly Bostick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
>> Martin Ullrich schreef:
>>
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> I am using the 2005.1 Universal Installation CD (link from
>>> www.gentoo.org <http://www.gentoo.org>). The problem is not, that
>>>  I can't assign an address
>>> or fetch dhcp information, but even "ifconfig eth0" fails with a
>>> message like "no such device" (the same with eth1).
>>>

>> And what is the output of lspci?
>>

> lspci lists all my devices (PCI-X Controller (Intel 925X chipset and
>  ICH6 Southbridge) and my two ethernet cards): ... 0000:01:00.0
> Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88W8310 and
> 88W8000G [Libertas] 802.11g client chipset (rev 07) ... 0000:02:00.0
>  Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8053 Gigabit
> Ethernet Controller (rev 15) 0000:03:00.0 Ethernet controller:
> Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8053 Gigabit Ethernet Controller
> (rev 15) ...
>
> All my hardware is listed in lspci so all controllers are working. By
>  the way, it worked fine with SuSE Linux and every Live-CD I've tried
>  (Aurox, Knoppix etc.)

The fact that it works fine with other distributions or LiveCDs and the
fact that there is nothing physically wrong with the hardware does not
guarantee that said hardware necessarily is being properly detected by
the specific kernel used on the Gentoo 2005.1 LiveCD. Since improper
detection would be one of the reasons that a kernel module that others
say is supposed to work is not working for you, I wanted to eliminate
that as a specific cause, which you have confirmed as eliminated.

The next possibility is that sk98lin is not the right module, but since
you've used it to drive these cards on other distros, that can't be it
either.

Leaving the possibilities that

1) eth0 and eth1 are misconfigured/do not exist, so even though the
hardware is working correctly, it cannot be used;

2) the sk98lin module as used under Gentoo is somehow functionally
different from the module of the same name that you have used under
other distros, so the hardware cannot be used (because the kernel module
does not enable the hardware to function).

Which is as far as I can get with a logical analysis, since I have no
gigabit ethernet card, and I am so not a network guru.

HTH,
Holly