Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> writes:

> On 08/12/2016 02:26, Harry Putnam wrote:
>> Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

>>> Your first problem seems to be you don't have any input or output
>>> devices. Please post
>>>
>>> - eix xorg-server
>>> - values of INPUT_DEVICES and VIDEO_CARDS from make.conf
>>
>>> - confirm that you built the kernel with evdev and the kernel module is
>>> loaded
>>
>> harry > eix xorg-server
>> [I] x11-base/xorg-server

[...]

>> harry > grep VIDEO /etc/portage/make.conf
>> VIDEO_CARDS="virtualbox"
>>
>> I don't have anthing in make.conf about Input devices nor have I had
>> on 2 other gentoo installs that successfully ran lxde.
>>
>> I've used the same make.conf with little variation on all three
>>
>> -------       -------       ---=---       -------       -------
>>
>> harry > cd /lib/modules
>>
>> harry > grep -r evdev.ko *
>> Binary file 4.8.8-gentoo/modules.dep.bin matches
>> 4.8.8-gentoo/modules.order:kernel/drivers/input/evdev.ko
>> 4.8.8-gentoo/modules.dep:kernel/drivers/input/evdev.ko:
>>
>> -------       -------       ---=---       -------       -------
>>
>> harry > sudo lsmod
>> Module                  Size  Used by
>> vboxguest             171071  0
>> evdev                   8704  0
>

> All that looks OK.
> AFAIR xorg uses evdev as the default, so if you don't specify it
> explicitly, it's what you get.

Is there something I should be specify explicitly?

I guess you mean in make.conf with INPUT_DEVICES=

> Just for fun, do you have x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev emerged?

harry > eix x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev
[I] x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev
     Available versions:  2.9.1 2.9.2 2.10.3 (~)2.10.4
     Installed versions:  2.10.4(22:57:23 11/18/16)
     Homepage:            https://www.x.org/wiki/

I'm currently trying to compare what is installed on another gentoo
guest on a solaris host with what I have on this one in the x11
department, using qlop -l but it gets a bit difficult with updates
showing the same base-names repeatedly on that host since its been in
business quite a bit longer.

Thought about using uniq and sort in someway to ascertain things but
have totally forgotten how to use it, I even wrote an awk script once
to uniqify lists, but of course it appears to have gone the way of the
doodoo bird.

AAR, it appears so far to have the same stuff on each.  So there still
must be something basic different.

> The only thing I can think of left to check is
> emerge @x11-module-rebuild
> and see what it will install

[ebuild   R    ] x11-base/xorg-server-1.18.4:0/1.18.4::gentoo  USE="doc glamor
suid udev xorg -dmx -ipv6 -kdrive -libressl -minimal (-selinux) -static-libs
-systemd -tslib -unwind -wayland -xephyr -xnest -xvfb" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse-1.9.2::gentoo  0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] x11-drivers/xf86-video-virtualbox-5.1.10::gentoo  USE="dri"
PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev-2.10.4::gentoo  0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] x11-drivers/xf86-input-keyboard-1.9.0::gentoo  0 KiB

I'm proceeding with those rebuilds now.