On Fri, Dec 09, 2016 at 10:42:51PM -0600, Kevin Monceaux wrote

> I'm old fashioned.  I use text based apps as much as possible.
> I'm using mutt and vim to compose this e-mail, for example.  They're
> running under screen, which is running in an rxvt-unicode terminal
> under dwm.  I could detach my screen session, exit rxvt-unicode and
> bounce dwm without having to exit vim or mutt.  I also have music
> playing via moc in another screen session.  Thanks to screen I could
> bounce my window manager without missing a beat.  :-)

  Years ago, I used to run mutt and newsreaders in separate text tty's.
Then the developers "in their infinite wisdom" switched from VGA text
mode drivers to framebuffer drivers. (mumble grumble mutter mutter)
It's basically impossible to come up with an 80-column text screen.
You'd need 24-pixel-wide text fonts to get 80 columns on a
1920-pixel-wide monitor.  I'd settle for 12-pixel-wide text fonts, and
doing a split-screen.

  Back then, my answer to "screen" was to push the system to 9 text
tty's.  tty10 and tty11 were reserved for X, and tty12 for system
messages.  Here's a fragment from my /etc/inittab

c1:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty1 linux
c2:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty2 linux
c3:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty3 linux
c4:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty4 linux
c5:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty5 linux
c6:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty6 linux
c7:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty7 linux
c8:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty8 linux
c9:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty9 linux

  Mutt (mail in general) is one thing I have no problem with stopping
and starting.  However, newsgroups have been replaced by webboards
(bleagh).  I have over 20 profiles for my browser.  This allows me to
bring up a specific forum in a specific workspace.  I also have multiple
spreadsheets continuously open for daily updates, as a hobby.  Browsers
and spreadsheets don't restore.  Browsers are supposed to restore after
being killed, but they don't always restore to the exact same point in
the forum.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>