On Wednesday 05 October 2005 23:39, billyd wrote:
> I've been playing around with Gentoo 2005.1  trying to get it
> installed using genkernel.  I am a little beyond newbie  with linux
> but still in a steep learning curve.   I am at the point in this
> installation where I can start installing packages.  The handbook
> uses kde as an example.
>
> My question:  Is there an order in which packages need to be
> installed.  For example, should x11-xorg be installed before kde?
>
> Thanks,

Then handbook part you are referring to means the packages from the packages
iso. The correct command would be emerge --usepkg kde-meta (to use the
binaries off the packages.iso). portage takes care of the dependencies of
packages automatically, so it will install xorg-x11 before anything that
needs it like kde.

If you haven't done a networkless install (stage3, snapshot, packages.iso, no
emerge --sync) it works the same way except it downloads and compiles things.

So in short: no need for a special order, since portage/emerge takes care of
the dependencies for you.

Roger