> Try the -dev list for the MANPATH thing.

Shall do that.

> I think "cron" might be a better global USE flag than "sqlite". Users
> will think "oh, of course I want the apropos/whatis database to be
> updated nightly" with USE=cron. Unless they happen to know that those
> databases are implemented in sqlite, they'll probably just guess at the
> meaning of USE=sqlite.

Good point. I have the USE description in metadata.xml, but even there
did not comment that cron scripts would be installed. Not sure whether
to call it cron, because users would assume it would only install the
cron script and not need sqlite for database generation.

> I would also suggest dropping the "+" defaults unless doing so severely
> cripples the package. The whole point of USE flags is that I can set
> them and all ebuilds will use them -- that stops working if developers
> make their own preferences default in ebuilds.

I thought about dropping the default for sqlite, and will probably do
so. As for manpager: it has + even in man-db, so I thought it would be
best to keep that consistent.

> [snip]
> This might be more appropriate in pkg_config(), because it modifies a
> file that doesn't belong to the package manager, namely mandoc.db. That
> could also solve your MANPATH issue by dumb luck; I'm not sure what the
> environment will look like during emerge --config.

I will try that out, thanks very much for the suggestions/fixes.

--
Wolfgang Mueller / vehk.de / GPG 0xc543cfce9465f573