Chris Ong wrote:

> Hi Friends,
> I am having a machine with 2 x Xeon 2.8Ghz w/HT/EM64T.
>
> I am using the minimal-amd64 iso to boot up and install the
> machine and it's a sucess.
>
> But there's a doubt here..
>
> During the installation stage, the kernel provided with the
> Minimal CD will actually tell 4 CPU. Correct as Real CPU + HT CPU.
> But when I booted the machine with my own kernel. It shows only 2.
> Here's the extraction of config.gz
>
> # Processor type and features
> #
> # CONFIG_MK8 is not set
> CONFIG_MPSC=y
> # CONFIG_GENERIC_CPU is not set
> CONFIG_X86_L1_CACHE_BYTES=128
> CONFIG_X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT=7
> CONFIG_X86_TSC=y
> CONFIG_X86_GOOD_APIC=y
> # CONFIG_MICROCODE is not set
> # CONFIG_X86_MSR is not set
> # CONFIG_X86_CPUID is not set
> CONFIG_X86_HT=y
> CONFIG_X86_IO_APIC=y
> CONFIG_X86_LOCAL_APIC=y
> CONFIG_MTRR=y
> CONFIG_SMP=y
> CONFIG_PREEMPT=y
> CONFIG_PREEMPT_BKL=y
> CONFIG_SCHED_SMT=y
> # CONFIG_K8_NUMA is not set
> # CONFIG_NUMA_EMU is not set
> # CONFIG_NUMA is not set
> CONFIG_HAVE_DEC_LOCK=y
> CONFIG_NR_CPUS=4
> CONFIG_HPET_TIMER=y
> # CONFIG_HPET_EMULATE_RTC is not set
> # CONFIG_GART_IOMMU is not set
> CONFIG_DUMMY_IOMMU=y
> CONFIG_X86_MCE=y
> CONFIG_X86_MCE_INTEL=y
> CONFIG_SECCOMP=y
> CONFIG_GENERIC_HARDIRQS=y
> CONFIG_GENERIC_IRQ_PROBE=y
> CONFIG_ISA_DMA_API=y
>
> I have the same problem before when I try to compile
> kernel-2.6.12.5 in FC4 with a P4 3.0 w/HT. I also lost the virtual CPU.
>
> Did the kernel-2.6.12.5 treat HT CPU differently ?
>
> I hope I can find the answer in the kernel changelog. But it's
> quite impossible for me right now. Any ideas ?
>
> ---
> Regards,
> C. K. Ong (Chris)
> Linux System Engineer
> RHCT Cert No: 603004347692007
> http://www.redhat.com/rhce/rhce603004347692007.html
>
> My Directory Sdn. Bhd.
> Your Open Source Partner.
> http://www.md.com.my http://www.net.my
> 2005

I'm running a P4 3.0GHz w/ HT and it works fine for me.  Here's what
is in my config, that's not in yours:

CONFIG_X86_PC=y
CONFIG_MPENTIUM4=y
CONFIG_X86_GENERIC=y
CONFIG_X86_CMPXCHG=y
CONFIG_X86_XADD=y
CONFIG_RWSEM_XCHGADD_ALGORITHM=y
CONFIG_GENERIC_CALIBRATE_DELAY=y
CONFIG_X86_WP_WORKS_OK=y
CONFIG_X86_INVLPG=y
CONFIG_X86_BSWAP=y
CONFIG_X86_POPAD_OK=y
CONFIG_X86_INTEL_USERCOPY=y
CONFIG_X86_USE_PPRO_CHECKSUM=y
CONFIG_HPET_EMULATE_RTC=y
CONFIG_NR_CPUS=8
CONFIG_X86_MCE_NONFATAL=y
CONFIG_X86_MCE_P4THERMAL=y
CONFIG_MICROCODE=m
CONFIG_X86_MSR=m
CONFIG_X86_CPUID=m

None of that seems like it would would make a difference, except
perhaps the processor identification.  If you don't tell the kernel
what type of processor it's using (i.e. by just leaving it generic) it
won't know to enable hyperthreading.....

HTH

- --
gentux
echo "hfouvyAdpy/ofu" | perl -pe 's/(.)/chr(ord($1)-1)/ge'

gentux's gpg fingerprint ==> 34CE 2E97 40C7 EF6E EC40  9795 2D81 924A
6996 0993