On 01/26/2017 01:58 AM, Alan Grimes wrote:
Tom H wrote:
On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 1:05 PM, Alan Grimes <alonz...@verizon.net> wrote:
The linux kernel stalls stone cold dead in either direct from firmware
or pass through grub mode.
AFAIK, when you load the kernel directly from the EFI firmware, it has
to have the ".efi" suffix. But that doesn't explain why it would stall
when loaded from grub...

Somewhat OT: Regarding grub, your "/boot/" is messy. It might not be
making a difference for (efi)-grub2's functioning but you have grub1
files (*stage1_5), grub2 bios files (i386-pc/), as well as grub2 efi
files (x86_64-efi/).

Yeah, I've been using that directory for many many long years, I ended
up removing the grub directory completely and re-installing, it's much
cleaner now.

You have done it wrong, actually :-P

You are mounting the EFI partition as /boot. You should be mounting it as /boot/efi.

/boot can just be a subdirectory of the root partition, and thus use the ext4 filesystem, while /boot/efi should be the vfat EFI partition. So you should have /boot/efi/EFI.

Right now, your kernels, configs, etc, are on vfat. Which completely lacks a Unix permission scheme, or ACL.

Fortunately, this is easy to fix. Just umount /boot, change your fstab, mkdir /boot/efi, mount /boot/efi, and move everything from /boot/efi to /boot except /boot/efi/EFI.