From: Erwin Lang [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, October 06, 2005 6:16 AM
To: gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org
Subject: [gentoo-user] portage bugs?

hi!

During installation of a new system I recognised two things:

1) `emerge -e system' aborted two times.

* The first time the command autoconf was missing so I manually installed the package autoconf.

* The second time the command aclocal was missing so I manually installed the package automake (which contains aclocal)

I tried `emerge -ep system' an the two packages (autoconf and automake) are mentioned in the list of packages which portage will install. But it seems that portage installs them to late.

2) after `emerge -e system' I tried to install the following packages:

`emerge -va reiserfsprogs lvm2 syslog-ng vixie-cron postfix'

vixie-cron needs an mta and tries to install ssmtp - which conflicts with postfix. portage didn't recognised that I mentioned an mta on command line.

I worked around by mentioning postfix before vixie-cron on command line:

`emerge -va reiserfsprogs lvm2 syslo-ng postfix vixie-cron'

Then portage recognised postfix and didn't try to install another mta.

Shouldn't portage be smart enough to solve this by itself?

greetings

erwin