On Sat, Jan 28, 2017 at 2:31 PM, Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com> wrote:

> rEFInd is definitely a slick and useful boot manager for multibooting.
> On this occasion I did not install it, but decided to remain
> minimalist, because I do not want to interfere much with the AppleMac
> installation.
>
> So, I created /boot/EFI/LINUX/ on /dev/sda1, leaving the original
> /boot/EFI/APPLE as was and copied in the LINUX/ directory just the
> gentoo kernel image, .config and System files. I named the kernel
> image 'bootx64-4.4.39-gentoo.efi' to differentiate from other images I
> will install over time.
>
> Then using the efibootmgr I set up bootx64-4.4.39-gentoo.efi as the
> default boot kernel and when the MackBook is started it boots straight
> into Gentoo, in what it feels like milliseconds. :-)
>
> When I need to boot into MacOS I have to press the alt key (aka Option
> ⌥ key) as I power it on and the Apple firmware boot loader takes over.
> What I don't know yet is if a MacOS upgrade will wipe the
> /boot/EFI/LINUX/ in /dev/sda1 as it upgrades the APPLE files, but it
> is easy to boot with a LiveUSB and copy over the Linux kernel once
> more.

Apple doesn't boot from the ESP [1] so it most likely won't touch
"/boot/EFI/LINUX/".

For example, on my MacBook, the ESP only has what looks like hardware updaters.

# diskutil list disk0
/dev/disk0 (internal):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                         500.3 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     314.6 MB   disk0s1
   2:          Apple_CoreStorage Macintosh HD            499.3 GB   disk0s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3

# diskutil mount readOnly -mountpoint ESP disk0s1
Volume EFI on disk0s1 mounted

# ls -R ESP/EFI
APPLE

ESP/EFI/APPLE:
EXTENSIONS FIRMWARE UPDATERS

ESP/EFI/APPLE/EXTENSIONS:
Firmware.scap

ESP/EFI/APPLE/FIRMWARE:
MB91_0154_B09_LOCKED.fd

ESP/EFI/APPLE/UPDATERS:
MULTIUPDATER USBCH USBCVA

ESP/EFI/APPLE/UPDATERS/MULTIUPDATER:
HPMUtil.efi Mac-9AE82516C7C6B903.epm MultiUpdater.efi flasher_base.smc
Mac-9AE82516C7C6B903-B0_3.72.bin Mac-9AE82516C7C6B903.smc
SmcFlasher.efi flasher_update.smc

ESP/EFI/APPLE/UPDATERS/USBCH:
HPMUtil_v39.efi J93-USBC-NVM-2.72.0-P_B0-S.bin

ESP/EFI/APPLE/UPDATERS/USBCVA:
HPMUtil.efi fw-p1-USBCVideoAdapter-S.bin
#

[1] Apple's EFI firmware can read hfsplus and it boots (IIRC since OS
X 10.10) from a kernel on the Apple_Boot partition (disk0s3).