Time ago when I upgraded nvidia-drivers from 295 to 3xx series there was no way to start X, it would crash immediately with my custom built kernel. After many tests I switched to a kernel config taken from a live CD which worked (and still works) fine with the 3xx nvidia-drivers but pulls in a lot of stuff don't think I really need. I started to remove kernel options one by one to go back to a custom kernel but that is a painful road.

Is there a minimal set of kernel options required to run the nvidia-driver documented somewhere? The gentoo wiki suggests to remove framebuffer, DRM, noveau but apparently that is not sufficient.

The current graphic board is a GTX750-based, if it matters.

thanks,

raffaele