On 14.02.2017 21:22, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Johannes Rosenberger <gen...@jorsn.eu> writes:
>
>>> Can anyone offer suggestions about this... is it even the right way to
>>> proceed?
>>>

>> Hello!
>>
>> I have portage-2.3.3 installed and in my portage manpage it is mentioned:
>>
>> The file shall reside in etc/(make.profile|portage/(make.)?profile) and
>> the syntax is
> Thanks for that.  I'm not at all sure what that line means.
>
> something like /etc/  (then either make a directory named `profile' or
> one named `portage' if necessary) / (then make `profile' if
> necessary.)

That line is a regular expression (like in grep, sed, awk, vim,…):
Parentheses always group something into an atom and pipes mark an
alternative. '?' means that the preceding atom occurs zero or one time.
So the expression means 'etc/' (I missed out the preceding slash),
followed by alternatively 'make.profile' or 'portage/(make.)?profile'.
The latter means 'portage/profile' with an optional 'make.' in between.

As you (hopefully) see, the expression resolves to the three
alternatives mentioned in the man page.

> So, /etc/portage/profile/package.provided
>
> I followed a newish dictum of using the package part as a directory
> name. So /etc/portage/profle/package.provided/FnameAndContentHere
> It worked... thanks again.

I find  the package.*-dirs very nice, too. Unfortunately, the tools like
emerge, flaggie etc. seem to not always use the same file to write to,
so the files get messed up over time.

> It worked.. still not getting everything installed but that
> part worked...

Well, that's not too astonishing… ;-)
Especially if you do anything uncommon: I'm trying to build a
musl-clang-4.0.0_rc1 system at the time, currently. And it took me some
days to hack out how to let clang compile itself with incompatible
symbols produced by gcc and clang…

> Something else about this entry in `man portage':
>
> [...]
> SYNOPSIS
>        /etc/portage/make.profile/ or /etc/make.profile/
>               site-specific overrides go in /etc/portage/profile/
>               deprecated
>               [...]
>
> So is the plan to do away with package.provided or just relocate it?

No. "deprecated" is one of the files that reside in the profile, just
like "make.profile". It marks a profile as deprecated and contains the
successing profile and optionally upgrading instructions.