On 02/22/2017 03:12 PM, k...@aspodata.se wrote:
> Thelma:
>> I have scaned pdf file (88-page) 23MB in size (downloaded this way).
>> Trying to reduce the size of the file I [...]
>
> Why don't you extract the images with pdfimages from the pdf and
> compress them with xv or convert (imagemagic) and maybe gimp can
> comress them also. Don't know how to get them back into a pdf though.
>
> Regards,
> /Karl Hammar

> Aspö Data
> Lilla Aspö 148
> S-742 94 Östhammar
> Sweden
> +46 173 140 57

I'm puzzled as to what program they used to compress the PDF file with such a
good quality output (PDF format as well).

This is the link I use to compress the file:
https://online2pdf.com/pdf-reduce-size

I've tried:
gs -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dCompatibilityLevel=1.4 -dDownsampleColorImages=true
-dColorImageResolution=150 -dNOPAUSE  -dBATCH -sOutputFile=5.pdf
COVERAGE_July-1-2016.pdf

gs -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dCompatibilityLevel=1.4 -dPDFSETTINGS=/ebook -dNOPAUSE
-dQUIET -dBATCH -sOutputFile=5.pdf COVERAGE_July-1-2016.pdf

convert -density 200x200 -quality 60 -compress jpeg COVERAGE_July-1-2016.pdf
5.pdf

gs -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dCompatibilityLevel=1.4 -dPDFSETTINGS=/screen -dNOPAUSE
-dQUIET -dBATCH -sOutputFile=5.pdf COVERAGE_July-1-2016.pdf

The last one above gave me decent size I think about 5MB but the quality wasn't
very good.
All others, size was hardly reduced or quality was terrible.

Gimp will open only one page at at time, so it is not suitable for this
conversion.

--
Thelma