On 170225-21:34-0600, R0b0t1 wrote:
> On Saturday, February 25, 2017, Miroslav Rovis <miro.ro...@croatiafidelis.hr>
> wrote:
> >
> https://security.googleblog.com/2017/02/announcing-first-sha1-collision.html
>
> Very interesting. The first useful SHA-1 collision was, if I remember, done
> in 2015, and subverted an HTTPS certificate (though not one which had been
> issued). This was some guys with a couple of servers lined with graphics
> cards.
>
> Seeing someone manage to do it in a garage a number of years before it was
> cosidered feasible should, hopefully, make you have more conservative
> estimates of the strength of modern cryptography.
>
> Aside:
> http://ecrypt-eu.blogspot.com/2015/11/break-dozen-secret-keys-get-million.html

Too technical for me. Too little learning gain for too much mumbo-jumbo noise,
at this
stage of my understanding of crypto, for me.

> R0b0t1.

But, when we talk crypto being broken, I can help thinking of other
threats to Gentoo and other FOSS GNU Linux that I fear are perfectly
feasible (for the resourceful subjects)

Gentoo distro is increasingly served the insecure way, IMO, that is: via
git, without the repositories being, for end users, PGP-verifiable.

And via a new private big business, the Github. Giving over all users to
big Github brother.

And, in the trasition all the history got lost. Git started remembering
only from 2015.

I have asked a question about getting git-served repository verifiable
for end users, but I didn't get any replies: