On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 13:20, Glenn Enright wrote:
> On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 22:27, Bogo Mipps wrote:
> >  *    getfilevar <VARIABLE> <CONFIGFILE>
> >  * Could not find a usable .config in the kernel source directory.
> >  * Please ensure that /usr/src/linux points to a configured set of Linux
> > sources.
> >  * If you are using KBUILD_OUTPUT, please set the environment var so that
> >  * it points to the necessary object directory so that it might find
> > .config.
> >
> > Why would the .config that's in the directory not be usable?  I just did
> > the make oldconfig && make as you suggested - which ran without errors
>
> Bah! try
>       cd /usr/src/linux
>       make menuconfig
> exit out of that and save in the process. Try the emerge again. Stupid
> software ;)

No, still the same error.  However I thought I'd try the following:

export KBUILD_OUTPUT=/usr/src/linux-2.6.12-gentoo-r10

- and then try the emerge svgalib again.  This time it emerged no problem.

Not very satisfactory, other than achieving the emerge.  Why/how am I using
KBUILD_OUTPUT? (see above) Mystery to me.  Now I guess I get this every time
an ebuild uses /usr/portage/eclass/linux-info.class - and it looks from
bugzilla that more and more are moving over to it.

And why only me?  Only clue I have is from gentoo forum where someone found a
miscompiled coreutils [/bin/echo] was producing same error as I got above. He
worked through the bash file and found that was the problem.  I recompiled
coreutils in case (I'd had a bad memory stick earlier this year) but that
didn't help.  Maybe eventually when everything on my box is
upgraded/recompiled I'll get back to "normal".

Thanks.

Bogo

--
Sent via KMail 1.8.1, & o/s Linux-2.6.12-gentoo-r10