On Saturday 04 Mar 2017 11:48:23 Rich Freeman wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 4, 2017 at 11:30 AM, Peter Humphrey <pe...@prh.myzen.co.uk>
wrote:
> > On Saturday 04 Mar 2017 14:59:51 Alan McKinnon wrote:
> >> ... It's a ~arch package, so you get to be a field tester when you use
> >> it
> >>
> >> :-)
> >
> > As Marc said, it isn't. But I'm incredulous that gpgme wasn't tested on
> > standard KDE system. That just beggars belief.
>
> In general, packages aren't tested on any particular desktop
> environment prior to stabilization.

Then for goodness' sake, where are they tested? In limbo?

> I'm sure the KDE packages get tested in KDE (probably on Plasma), but
> that's about as far as it is likely to go.  Now, packages might happen to
> be tested under KDE.
>
> I'm not saying that is a good thing, or a bad thing, just that this is
> how it has worked for as long as I've been using Gentoo.

I just can't believe it. They're issuing a general-purpose tool, to work
everywhere, and they don't test it on a representative sample of systems?

If my team had been tempted into that sort of myopia, I'd have been shown
the door toute damn suite. And we had the nation's power grid to keep
running. Sorry, but this is just amateur.

Not getting at you, Rich - just venting my frustration.

--
Regards
Peter