On 03/05/2017 06:52 PM, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Corbin Bird <corbinb...@charter.net> writes:
>

>> Have you tried : xterm -fa "9x15B-ISO8859-1"?
>
> I mentioned that the -fa switch was not working at all.
>
> I've since discovered that the xterms I had were compiled with useflag
> truetype disabled .. so `-truetype' Which meant xterm was compiled
> without support for -fa
>
>> Note : that works on XTerm v325 ( tested ).
>
> I've recompiled xterm with useflag truetype enabled and now I have the
> -fa flag so I can run the command you mentioned above now.
>
> That is a nice looking font... a little big on my view but
>
> I see something a bit off here... trying to get a smaller font of the
> same type I went clear down to 4x6... but those all look just like
> the "9x15B-ISO8859-1"
>
>   xterm -fa 4x6-ISO8859-1
>
> Does not say anything by way of error or explanation just shows a
> terminal with the same font displayed as "9x15B-ISO8859-1"
>
> That can't be a desirable outcome.
>
> It must just be displaying the same size from 9x 8x 7x 6x 5x 4x. and
> doing so silently.
>
> I'm not running a font server.
>
>> The Xorg Xft font server docs specifically show how to set the "default"
>> font in Xterm. Look for the section 'Configuring applications'
>>
>> Reference Link :
>>
>>> https://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.7/doc/xorg-docs/fonts/fonts.html
>
> Thanks for the link... much as I been googling I'm surprised I did not
> see that one already... it looks quite thorough.

The Xft server is really 'fontconfig'. No daemon running at all.

---

Compile with both USE flags "truetype unicode" and the local USE flag
"toolbar".

That will give you control of the font size.
( xterm -> VT Fonts, uxterm -> Unicode Fonts )

---

Reference Links :
( Use flags )
https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/x11-terms/xterm