On 2017-03-03, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> For the past 10-15 [years], I've been mounting a handfull of
> directories that reside on a Windows server, and it's always worked
> find.
>
> About a week ago, they started acting oddly.  They all mount fine, and
> work as usual as long as you keep using them.  AFAICT, if they sit
> idle for "a while" (tens of minutes, maybe an hour), they freeze up.

It finally dawned on me that I had changed something.

It's a kernel 4.9 problem.

I had built and installed a gentoo-sources 4.9.6-r1 kernel about a
month ago, but didn't update the grub configuration and reboot until
two weeks ago.

Rebooting with the 4.4.39 kernel fixes the problem.

[I also tried just rebooting the 4.9.4 kernel, but that didn't help.]

The configuration of the 4.9.4 kernel is as close to that of the
4.4.39 as I can get.

I guess I'll have to stick with the 4.4 series until this gets fixed.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Now we can become
                                  at               alcoholics!