On Wed, 15 Mar 2017 22:33:10 +0800, Andrew Lowe wrote:

> I have LLVM/clang installed and upon browsing the updates saw
> app-vim/llvm-vim. This is some sort of syntax highlighting thingy for
> Vim. I don't have Vim installed so went into the llvm-4.0.0 ebuild and
> saw the line
>
> PDEPEND="app-vim/llvm-vim
>
> My understanding is that PDEPEND means that something, in this case
> llvm-vim, will be installed after the update of llvm - correct?

That's right.

> If so,
> I can't see any way of "turning this off" as I don't want even more
> junk installed on my machine.

It is a fixed dependency, so the ebuild maintainer considers it
compulsory.

>       Have I understood the ebuild correctly and it could do with a
> "fiddle" so that it doesn't force this install?

You can remove the dependency from the ebuild and recreate the manifest,
then one of the following may happen.

It will fail to build
It will build but fail to run
It will build and run successfully
One or more kittens/puppies will die

If only option 3 happens, copy the modified ebuild to a local overlay to
prevent the dependency being reinstated when you next sync. Then file a
bug asking for this to be controlled by a USE flag.

--
Neil Bothwick

Forget the Joneses...I can't keep up with The Simpsons.