On 03/19 09:37, Kai Krakow wrote:
> Am Sun, 19 Mar 2017 09:09:51 +0100
> schrieb tu...@posteo.de:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a smart NiMH-charger with serial port (normally used to
> > dump chargeing curves to the PC).
> > The chargers firmware can bei flashed with a flashtool provided
> > by the vendor. The communication is via serial port. I have
> > a PCI=>serial.ports-card installed in my PC.
> >
> > The command
> >
> >     file <flashing tool>
> >
> > results in this information
> >
> >     PE32 executable (GUI) Intel 80386, for MS Windows
> >
> > . As Linux user by heart I have no Windows.
> >
> > May the attempt to install wine and use it for this purpose
> > a thinkable way or are the precoditions that way, that it
> > is due to those a NO-NO...?
>
> Flashing via serial port should be no problem from within Wine. It
> requires no special driver implementation.
>
> However, if the hardware implements its own driver behind the serial
> port, it won't work anyways because on the Wine side there will be no
> such driver.
>
> So I think, it should either work or fail early without doing damage.
>

> > Does anyone have experience with such an attempt?
>
> I'm usually doing such things from VirtualBox by passing through the
> hardware (usually USB, that's easily done from within the GUI).
>
> VirtualBox can also pass COM ports to the VM. You may want to try that
> as a second chance.
>

> --
> Regards,
> Kai
>
> Replies to list-only preferred.

Hi Kai (that's a rhyme! :)

I have installed Virtualbox already and use the Linux Image I
installed there for banking purposes only. Feels more secure.

I would prefer the WIndows-in-a-(virtual)box-solution) as you
do -- if I would own a Windows installation disc. But do not.

But it is good to know, that the wine-workaround would either
work or fail too early to damage anything.

Is there anything important to know before doing an emerge
of wine (need I more than app-emulation/wine?) -- I have
literally no experience with this emulator - the flashing
tool is a 32bit gui application...) ???

Cheers
Meino