On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 1:59 AM, Adam Carter <adamcart...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 7:19 AM, Jorge Almeida <jjalme...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

> The next hop after the ISP supplied router is another piece of the ISPs
> network equipment, so the ISP access to your data is equivalent, since the
> geography is not important. I dont think Netgear is any less trustworthy
> than TP-link or whatever. Here the trust is probably more about reliability
> of the device than data privacy. Probably being too paranoid.

The difference between Netgear and TP-link is not about which company
is less trustworthy. The point is that the Netgear belongs to the ISP,
wheras the TP-link belongs to me and its crappy firmware (crappy
interface, at least) can be replaced by dd-wrt.

>> Which part is to blame? The secondary router boasts 1300Mbps on 5GHz
>> WiFi, so I assumed it could deal with 150Mbps on cat5e ethernet cable.
>> The power consumption is about 4.5w, which seems a bit flimsy.
>> Or maybe the primary router is thottling speed when in bridge mode? Is
>> this possible at all? (And if so, what could be the purpose of such
>> measure? *spooky*)
>

> Does ifconfig show any interface errors?
>
> You can probably setup PPPoA, or whatever is required, on your Gentoo box to
> bring the service up instead of the TP-link, and test the bridge mode
> throughput. This also means you can have maximum flexibility since Gentoo
> will do all the interesting network stuff. However, unless you wanted to do
> that as a learning exercise its probably a waste of time and effort.
>
> Does TPlink provide any performance stats?

I already found that the TP-Link router is the culprit, due to low
processing power, Netgear is innocent.

regards

Jorge Almeida