On Monday 10 Apr 2017 19:07:49 Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> Hello, Daniel.
>
> On Fri, Apr 07, 2017 at 08:48:22 -0700, Daniel Frey wrote:
> > >
> > > 381.09 was released today which supports kernel 4.10. But it might take
> > > a while until it's in portage.
> > >
> > > In general, I stick with LTS kernels ("Long Term Support.") Right now,
> > > that's 4.9. Doing that solved "doesn't build against kernel X" issues
> > > with binary packages like the nvidia drivers and vmware workstation. If
> > > you're using nvidia, I'd recommend using the latest LTS kernel. What's
> > >
> > > the latest LTS is listed here:
> > >   https://www.kernel.org
> >
> > He [Alan Grimes] has new hardware (Ryzen) that needs 4.10 for proper
> > support.
> I too have new hardware (An Asus Prime X370-PRO MB with a Ryzen 1700X
> processor), indeed so new that my first attempt to boot a minimal CD was
> less than an hour ago.
>
> The attempt, one must admit, was wholly unsuccessful.  I can boot into
> the minimal CD's opening overtures, at which I'm prompted to select a
> "kernel".  If I choose memtest86, it loads and displays its initial
> screen, then promptly crashes the system, leading to an automatic
> reboot.  gentoo-nofb boots, displays something about the number of cores
> present (It counts up to #16), displays some information about "PCI"
> (on, perhaps, 20 lines) and promptly crashes, blanking the screen and
> rebooting.
>
> My minimal CD is install-amd64-minimal-20170406.iso, so fairly recent,
> but built with kernel 4.9.16.
>
> Question: do I need a 4.10 kernel to be able to boot a Ryzen system at
> all?  If 4.10 is necessary, is it sufficient?
>
> Just as importantly, are there any convenient instructions in a
> convenient place for building one's own minimal CD?  I've just tried a
> quick search through the Gentoo wiki, but didn't see anything relevant.
>
> Is there anything else relevant anybody can tell me to help me get my
> new machine booted?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> > Dan

I can't recall when was the last time I used a Gentoo minimal CD to install a
system and I have not tried installing Gentoo on Ryzen (yet), but have you had
a go at using a systemrescuecd?

You'll need to use the alternative kernel from the boot options, which is at
present still a 4.9.18 version:

http://www.system-rescue-cd.org/Download/

Alternatively, you can unpack it, build the kernel of your choice and rebuild
it as explained here:

http://www.system-rescue-cd.org/Customization/

The same must be doable with Gentoo's minimal CD, but I have not searched the
interwebs for guidance ...

HTH.
--
Regards,