On Wed, 19 Apr 2017 12:46:09 +0200, Florian Gamböck wrote:

> On 2017-04-18 20:41, Mick wrote:

> > Assuming you have access to your home's router, you can configure on
> > it a static IP address for the MAC address of the Raspi.  The home
> > router will not allocate any such reserved IP address to any other
> > device, but reserve it for the Raspi's MAC address.

> That's what I've been doing in the past, but my Cisco router had
> problems with that. It tried to give away addresses I have specifically
> reserved and it ended up cutting the connections and refusing to let
> new machines connect as long as there was a conflict.

You should allocate static addresses from outside of the DHCP reserved
range. For example, set the DHCP range to 192.168.1.100-200 then allocate
static addresses from below there.

> Besides, I like having configuration files on my computers, which I can
> exchange and adjust as I like, without the need to click through
> heavily overloaded router configuration WebApps.

If you have an always on computer on your network, I would recommend
trying dnsmasq. It has a DHCP server and means you can do all your
network configuration in the one place, with simple text config files.

--
Neil Bothwick

Do you realize how many holes there could be if people would just take
the time to take the dirt out of them?