I remember there was a thread about these topics, but I think it was
only in the context of resolving build conflicts.  That is not my
problem: I can build and merge these packages just fine.

My problem is that the adwaita theme, on which the last stable gtk+2
depends, gives a totally new look to my desktop.  Round buttons instead
of square ones, menus not clearly set off from the background,
minimalist scroll-bars without thumbs or arrows, etc.  The last example
also shows that the changes go beyond mere looks into functionality, and
in the end that's why this "upgrade" will remain a no-no for me.

Up until now, I have been masking the last gtk+2 version to prevent this
from going through, but I worry about the security implications.  So I
am looking for a way to let the new packages in but then configure gtk
to get the old facade back.  But I don't know how: I have always used
the gtk defaults for these things because they were agreeable enough.

So how do I configure this stuff, given that I do _not_ use gnome or any
other integrated desktop?  I just need to edit some text files, dammit.
Which ones and what edits are needed?  Or maybe I need to install
another theme and use it instead of adwaita, but then how to tell this
to gtk?