Many thanks for your hints!

On 05/14/2017 07:13:05 AM, Walter Dnes wrote:
Why aren't you running "-march=native"? You're probably missing quite a few features of your cpu. BTW, "-march=native" implies "-mtune=native"
and "-msse3" (if the cpu supports it).  Out of sheer curiousity, what
does gcc report as your native cpu when you run...

gcc -c -Q -march=native --help=target | grep march=

-march=amdfam10

> and quite a e few
> CFLAGS="-O3 -mtune=native -pipe -msse -msse2 -msse3 -msse4a -m3dnow"
> (for my aged AMD64  Phenom II machine)
>
> in /etc/portage/env/...

  "-O3"... yikes!  Not really recommended.  If you want speedup, use
"-march=native" instead.

I didn't have any problems with that. I only use these setting non compute intensive packages which
are not system critical.

  In make.conf, I have...

CFLAGS="-O2 -march=native -mfpmath=sse -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -fno-unwind-tables -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables"

  The 2 "unwind_tables" flags reduce code bloat.  See
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.busybox/36695 for details.  The
guys at busybox do what they can to reduce code bloat. Knocking 15% off
the size of an executable or library helps.  This results in faster
swapping.

Many thanks, again
Helmut