On 05/24/2017 11:46 AM, allan gottlieb wrote:
> On Wed, May 24 2017, Daniel Frey wrote:
>
>> On 05/24/2017 11:10 AM, allan gottlieb wrote:
>>> My older laptop needs broadcom-sta.  Back when I bought and setup the
>>> laptop (kernel 3.18.12), I emerged broadcom-sta and wireless worked.
>>>
>>> Now I am upgrading to kernel 4.9.16.  The kernel boots but no wireless.
>>> In /lib/modules/3.18.12-gentoo-3 I have net/wireless/wl.ko.
>>> In /lib/modules/4.9.16-gentoo-3 there is no net.
>>>
>>> Am I supposed to remerge broadcom-sta?  If so how do I indicate the
>>> kernel version for /lib/modules?
>>>    Do I set the the /usr/src/linux symlink?
>>>    Do I run 4.9.16 during the emerge?
>>>    Something else?
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> allan
>>>

>> Sounds like it installs kernel modules, so yes, after a new kernel build
>> you need to re-emerge all packages that install modules. Easiest way to
>> emerge all packages that install kernel modules is:
>>
>> `emerge -a @module-rebuild`
>>
>> Dan
>
> Thank you dan, but how do I tell the build which /lib/modules/* to use.
> I gave two guesses above.
>
> allan

Use `eselect kernel list` : it will show which /lib/modules it will go
to (as an example here's mine):

$ eselect kernel list
Available kernel symlink targets:
  [1]   linux-4.1.37-gentoo *
  [2]   linux-4.9.16-gentoo

If I merge a package with kernel modules, it will currently go to
lib/modules/4.1.37-gentoo, which is what my kernel symlink is set to.
You can use `eselect kernel set` to change this symlink. In my case,
using `eselect kernel set 2` will change it to 4.9.16. In your case,
list the installed kernels and set it to the new kernel and `emerge -a
@module-rebuild` and you'll be good to go.

Dan