On 06/30/17 20:45, Walter Dnes wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 07:35:21PM -0400, james wrote
>
>> This issue is close by not exactly the same. What I want is when you
>> save/modify/delete a bookmark in Palemoon, it would be instantly
>> effective in Qupzilla and vice versa. A 'simd' instruction, execute
>> once, write multiple-times, so to speak.
>>

>> I was looking for a solution, on syncing up diverse *zilla bookmarks
>> records. If you think about, it's a really good idea and yields consumer
>> options to use another browser, when your 'fav' browser is not
>> performing as you wish.
>
>   Is Qupzilla a "Firefox-family" browser like Pale Moon?  If so, and if
> you're brave/foolish, try symlinking the "places.sqlite" files in the
> browsers' profiles.  I strongly recommend backups before doing it.  See
> https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profiles-where-firefox-stores-user-data
> for a list of what stuff each file stores.

~/.config/qupzilla/profiles/default/bookmarks.json

 is the operable file for qupzilla (I think). I do not know the history
or many details of qupzilla, I emerged it and it works, without the
politics of larger browsers; ymmv.

Palemoon, is something you know far more about, but my guess is::
~/.moonchild productions/pale moon/vjhi8n7h.default/places.sqlite

which is in non-text form.

I'm not sure how the 'profile' works to control these bookmarks?

These files are differnt, so a simlink is not going to work?

I rather like the json file as it is efficient and easy to read for
comprehension and grepping.  I'm not quite sure why a sqlite file is
needed. I did find a sqlite browser some years ago for looking at those
kinds of files but not sure where (what package) it is in now. Perhaps a
script to tranlate either sqlite entries into a json form, or vice-versa
could make these (2) work?   If it worked, one could bounce between
these or even other 'simpler' browsers as all of the 'market leading
browers:: firefox, opera, chrome,etc' all seem to overtly complicate
everything, have a political agenda, or are just a turnoff to use.

A uniform bookmarks system, where the user masters and controls their
bookmarks, beyond any browser uses, is a keen idea, imho.

thanks for your insight into Palemoon and your hard work with Palemoon
to benefit gentoo users. I' going to just install PM-27.3 via the
octopus repo. It just seems that I have to change repos to get the
latest palemoon ebuild, and I'm scratching my heads as to why one repos
does not always offer the latest ebuilds, as soon as they are release,
at least as testing ebuilds?

James