On 07/03/2017 12:24 AM, J. Roeleveld wrote:

On July 2, 2017 7:36:02 PM GMT+02:00, "taii...@gmx.com" <taii...@gmx.com> wrote:
On 07/02/2017 02:51 AM, J. Roeleveld wrote:

On July 1, 2017 11:23:06 PM GMT+02:00, "taii...@gmx.com"
<taii...@gmx.com> wrote:
I am wondering if anyone has tried this, apparently several LSI
controllers support portioning out drives to VF's so the guest sees
controller with those drives attached to it.

What was your experience like? and what controllers did you use?

- Thanks
I am wondering when I would want this?
So you only need one HBA/RAID card per system if you want more than one

VM with quality performance.
It'll always be faster than an emulated disk.
Never noticed any performance issues. Using Xen and raw disk format to the VMs.
http://semiaccurate.com/2009/09/30/lsi-virtualizes-storage-hardware/
For me I have 3/4 the native copy speed, and the I/O for example extracting a zip is terrible.

Either the VM needs a fraction of a single disk. Or it needs multiple
disks.
For the latter case, I prefer to pass an entire HBA.
Which one do you have and does yours support FLR?
Using a Supermicro card based on a LSI3008 chipset and dual expander backplane.
I can always add a second HBA of I need more bandwidth.

What is FLR? Googling that gives me a lot of non IT related results.
Function level reset, it is required to be able to assign devices to VM's without annoyance.
The 3K series supports SR-IOV so you probably have it.

Could you run # lspci -vv?
Thank you