Hi Steve,

> A question that I've recently been mulling is how I can retain this
> invaluable capability to accept remote SSH connections on
> port 443 - but
> also run a standard HTTPS website without needing another public IP
> address.  I fiddled with netcat and discovered that the two protocols
> (SSH and HTTPS) behave quite differently in spite of both being
>
>            +-------+         +-----+---443-->[apache]
>  O---443-->|NAT-BOX|--1443-->|  ?  |

Maybe the 'Layer-7 Filter' [1] extension for netfilter/iptables can do the
recognition of the service (ssh/https) for you. Only from theory then just
two destination NAT (DNAT) rules in the prerouting NAT chain from iptables
might do all the work for you.

[1] http://l7-filter.sourceforge.net

Also there are two examples of patterns that match against the ssh and ssl
service can be found here: http://l7-filter.sourceforge.net/protocols

Regards,
Olaf Niermann