Dale wrote:

> A bit of a update.  I went to my storage building and found a lot of
> rigs mostly with parts missing but found one gem in the bunch that was
> all there.  I suspect someone put it there when I wasn't at home and
> knows where I keep them but it could be one I forgot about too.  Anyway,
> I got four 1Gb sticks of ram in and am running memtest right now.  So
> far, no errors.  It has a small hard drive in it but not sure if it will
> be big enough for everyday use.  May have to remove the one from the
> current rig she has.  It should be big enough for me to test some
> distros out tho.  ;-)
>
> Oh, single core running at 2.8GHz.  It ain't blazing fast but it's
> likely faster than what she currently has plus the memory will help a
> lot.  It's a older Dell.  It has that flip up front that covers the
> CD/DVD drives.  Some may recall all the torn up CD/DVD drives that
> caused.  :/
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

A even better update.  That CPU has TWO cores.  That's better than one
core at least.  I wish it had a bigger CPU heat sink.  I like them to be
big and have large fans.  ;-)

I've installed Linux Mint with Mate.  It's impressive so far.  Going to
plug in a camera and memory card and see what that does but so far, it's
pretty nice.  I haven't even figured out how to customize it and it is
pretty nice.

The updater is GUI and easy.  It works a lot like Mageia since it gives
a little pop-up and you just click to tell it to go update.  This should
work well for her but might check out that Manjaro as well.  It sounds
Mandrake-ish.  lol

Thanks to all for the suggestions and info.  I don't think Linux Mint
was even on the radar.  Mate sure wasn't.

Dale

:-)  :-)