On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 10:31 AM, Ста Деюс <sthu.d...@openmailbox.org> wrote:
> Hi.
>

> Why bash script (the install script), that works in "Debian", does not
> work on "Gentoo" install CD, giving me syntax errors (basically related
> to '(', ')' and ''')? In the script is the interpreter line
>
> #!/bin/bash
>
> and both systems contain bash, that interprets the script, why the
> difference on syntax?

Can you attach to bash script you are running and the exact error
messages? It is hard to say (at least for me) without seeing it; bash
to bash portability issues are something I have never heard of. As a
guess there are a variety of options you can change while running in
the interpreter with the "set" command that can also be set in
configuration files or the command line. Also possible is that the
install CD contains a gimped version of bash, but typically then it's
not called bash. It could also be running it with "set -o posix" for
some reason.

> PS Why no semi/full -automatic install script/package in "Gentoo"?

The installation process at its core involves preparing the disks and
then extracting the stage 3 to them. Disk preparation can be
exceedingly complicated and making an automated installer that
supports all possible setups is pretty hard, only fairly recently have
distributions like Debian been able to offer automatic setup of
encrypted LVM volume groups. Some possible configurations (per PV
keys) still aren't supported.

The other part is creating a kernel. For that there is genkernel, but
it just compiles everything in. I'm not sure that counts as
configuration but it is automatic.

I do think the handbook leaves far too many things out that normal
users would need. I'm trying to compile a list of useful x86/PC
related things to add to the handbook at some point, like useful
default make.conf and portage options. There's also a lot of
configuration files to sort through, documenting files of interest (if
not providing some default configuration for them) is probably a good
idea.

R0b0t1.