On Monday, 21 August 2017 12:49:27 BST mad.scientist.at.la...@tutanota.com
wrote:
> Any likely problems if i install the stage3 tarball etc. under centos6.6?
> tried the live dvd but it has problems with my current graphics card
> (framebuffer driver).

I haven't tried out installing Gentoo using a CentOS LiveCD, but I have
installed it using Knoppix and more recently I have been exclusively using
systemrescueCD.  I recommend you give it a spin.

> I'm excited about using gentoo, though the online instructions could really
> use more structuring, i.e. it's hard to avoid reading the parts you don't
> need to and the "flow" is rather lost.

I think the flow is not bad, for my needs at least.  For example this page
offers a chapter at a time:

 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64

which walks you through the installation in a structured manner.  You can skip
the section you are familiar with or have processed already.

> It's an extremely verbose document
> which makes it very hard to get the gist of the install procedure.

Well you can't cover all edge use cases in a document which has to introduce
new users to this meta-distro, but it should get any willing participant to a
boot prompt after some diligent application of keyboard effort.

> it's
> not a bad document, merely poorly organized.  I do appreciate the work that
> went into it, and it's good to have the detail available, but a more
> hierarchical procedure would be more readable and understandable.  i'm
> fairly experienced at linux and it's hard for me to follow, most newbies
> would  be helplessly confused.  Once i'm more familiar with gentoo i'd be
> happy to take a stab at it, but not until i'm far more familiar.  Thank you
> for what is likely the best distro for me and for being transparent, this
> is meant as purely constructive criticism, and i know no documentation can
> please all.  no flames please, i've given up on other distro's who's mail
> list are full of flamers, something that doesn't help anyone.
>
> /OT
> yes, i'm dysgraphic, but i try to be concise and use good grammar, and all
> of my sentences go somewhere.  I also don't expect non-native speakers to
> be perfect, i know english is a somewhat ugly language in many cases (like
> spelling), but that's because like gentoo, pieces have been borrowed from
> all over.  that eclectic nature can be very useful but tends to slightly
> complicate things and webster didn't do us any favors.  i'm 54 and learned
> to write cursive/script at least 4 times, it never stuck.  my brain works
> differently than most but that's often a good thing (i tend to notice
> things many people miss, and often miss what is obvious to others to some
> degree).  so bear with me and you might learn something, or ignore my posts
> and the insight in them but please don't think you can help more than an
> army of educators has.  if you try to shame me the fault is your's.  i am
> dyslexic, there are worse things.  i do pay special attention to
> abbreviations where capitalisation can really matter, it is alot more of an
> effort for me than for most./OTOFF

For someone who is dysgraphic/dyslexic I think you are managing extremely
well, so this won't stop you trying out Gentoo, even if the handbook appears
awkward at times.  I seem to recall a shorter guide for more advanced users
but I can't find it at present.  Others may have a URL for it.

--
Regards,
Mick