I'm running a Core2-duo desktop from 2008 with 3 gigs of ram.  I want
to run it into the ground, not throw it away while it's still
functional.  With Gentoo optimization, pluse using ICEWM, it's generally
snappy.  But there are a few web pages that throw the kitchen sink of
3rd-pary adservers+trackers.  178 unique servers for one web page will
peg the load from the web browser to 150% of 1 cpu core.  On a 2-core
machine, that is bad.  The browser is unresponsive for a few seconds at
a time.

  I'm building up a rather large hosts file, but the adservers have a
gazillion subnames for each domain, in a deliberate attempt to bypass
hosts files.  It would be more effective block entire domains.  Is there
a lightweight DNS server, or some iptables trick, or whatever, that'll
block specified domains?

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>