I had a similar (if not identical problem).  This solution is a
"difficult" solution, the reason I experienced this (if I understand)
was that I was running KDE at the same time I was updating KDE.  I can't
remember if I simply rebooted, or if all it took was logging out, and
logging back in.  Even if I had rebooted, the *most* that should be
required is restarting X, which if you are running XDM may require
restarting XDM, or as stated, simply logging out and logging back in
(but that might not be possible from KDE running in this broken mode).
It should happen relatively infrequently.

If you are doing unattended updates, you are likely to run into this
kind of problem from time to time.  I do not recommend it except for
"security" updates, which I don't believe there is an automated process
in Gentoo to do.  Ie. I don't believe Portage flags updates as
"security" updates in any way, so a single command of "emerge --update
--security-only @word" (to my knowledge) isn't really a possibility.

Though, also, I haven't been following recent discussions that closely,
and I only recently returned to Gentoo after about 10 years away.