On 09/12/2017 03:07 PM, Heiko Baums wrote:
> Am Tue, 12 Sep 2017 17:28:40 -0400
> schrieb Mike Gilbert <flop...@gentoo.org>:
>
>> I would advise against this INSTALL_MASK setting. It is quite likely
>> to break things (like sys-fs/udev).
>
> No, it's not.
>
> I'd consider it a bug if systemd is not installed and
> another package that doesn't depend on systemd relies on something that
> is installed in a systemd subdirectory.
>
> And for me nothing was broken since several years now.
>
> And, like I said, I'm using eudev instead of udev.
>
> Heiko

You may be using eudev (and thus don't need to worry about it), but if a
person blindly copies that into their make.conf and sys-fs/udev breaks,
they'll get to keep the pieces because they deliberately screwed
themselves. It's not a use case we can support. It doesn't mean
INSTALL_MASK is always a bad idea; it's simply meant to be used by
people who are fully aware of its effects.

--
Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer, Trustee, Treasurer
OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net