On Tuesday, 19 September 2017 05:15:46 BST R0b0t1 wrote:

> Having checked bootctl's documentation it should be changing EFI variables
> (it may manage kernels also, I am not entirely sure). Are you sure this
> isn't related to the bug Mick mentioned? If it is then I am unsure why
> efibootmgr works.

What, efivars being mounted read-only? Quite sure. If I don't remount them
read-write, "bootctl install" refuses to run at all.

> Now it's fixed (by using something else) and I can't expect you to care,
> but I am left perplexed.

I wonder. Just possibly this is a motherboard or UEFI BIOS problem (or one
I've caused it). When I first received the machine I couldn't get grub to
install and run, no matter what I tried. That was 18 months ago, since when
it's been running apparently happily using bootctl.

--
Regards,
Peter.