On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 5:53 AM, Philip Webb <purs...@ca.inter.net> wrote:
> 171005 christos kotsis wrote:
>> I just noticed that ReiserFS has significant performance
>> over ext3, 4 when dealing with small files.
>
> I've long relied on ReiserFS for everything except  /boot
> & have never had any problems with my files or drives.
> I have many small files + a few big PDFs -- perhaps  c 20 MB ea  --
> & the big ones simply stay where I put them, so no changes to handle.

Unless your needs are fairly specialized (in which case you probably
wouldn't be looking for advice on this list), I'd probably stick with
the more mainstream filesystems.

I doubt reiserfs will eat your data, but it has been generally falling
out of use.

IMO if your goal isn't to experiment with alternate filesystems, there
are really only a couple of mainstream choices out there for a
general-purpose workstation filesystem:

1.  Ext4:  This should just be your default if you don't want to care
about your filesystem.  It is ubiquitous for a reason.  It won't eat
your data, and everybody knows what to expect from it.  If your
filesystem is fairly small and being used for a root, or otherwise has
a lot of small files, then make sure to override the inode defaults.
Other than that it just works.

2.  Xfs: If you absolutely have to mess with a filesystem (especially
for multimedia) this isn't a bad alternative.  You won't be able to
shrink it, but for the most part it behaves a lot like ext4.

Zfs is starting to cross over into experimental territory, IMO, though
it generally is fairly stable.  I care about data integrity, so it is
what I tend to run (well, aside from one btrfs filesystem I haven't
switched over).  I had a SATA port misbehave and spread silent
corruption all over a disk, and zfs got me through it without anything
but some warning alerts/etc and a need to rebuild after I moved the
drive to another controller (and marked a big X over the port).  If I
were using mdadm I'd have had to rebuild from backups at a cost of
hours of downtime (a fairly large array), and might have lost
recently-written data entirely as might have been in use for longer
before detecting the error, leaving me a dilemma of figuring out which
backup versions were good, with the answer being something older.
Even if I didn't have redundancy zfs (or btrfs) would have complained
loudly about the issue.  I do use snapshots because they're cheap, but
rolling back is pretty rare.

Unless you have a very specialized need I wouldn't go messing with
block sizes or anything like that in any of these cases.

--
Rich