On 2017-10-20 10:08, Mick wrote:

> I suspect something in my configuration has deviated from vanilla and
> this is causing the problem of 'set crypt_use_gpgme' not being enough.
> This is what I'm running here:

> mail-client/mutt-1.7.2

> I haven't tried troubleshooting gpgme when running mutt to see what
> the logs spew out.  xsession-errors and syslog does not reveal
> anything.  I should give this some attention when I get a free moment.

Classic mutt had known problems in this area.  For example, from the
mutt.org frontpage:

 Mutt 1.8.2 was released on April 18, 2017. This is a bug-fix release,
 fixing a regression involving GnuPG agent in the 1.8.1 release.

You may want to try upgrading to latest (1.9.1), or to neomutt if you
feel like an adventure.

Otherwise, if you really want to debug your current configuration, I
would start by commenting out the gpgme line.  That should give you the
original environment where mutt interacts with GPG directly; one fewer
variable to consider.  Then, once you get that working, uncomment gpgme
and comment out all the hairy gpg command lines.