On Thursday 13 October 2005 03:20 pm, James wrote:
> Yes, OK. I want to play with this manually for a few weeks, then I'll
> use buildpkg and PGKDIR. One last qustion. If the USE settings are
> identical and the CFLAGS are similar between an AMD and Intel, can I use
> the approach with one system being Intel and the other being AMD:

Nope.  Buildpkg bundles the stuff that was just compiled for the local
architecture.  You'd have to disable pentium vs amd stuff (mmx vs 3dnow) and
might even have to boil the CFLAGS down to a simpler x86 (not sure if
natively built 686 executables run on amd, but going down to a 386 or 486
would work).

In the end tho the hoops you'd have to jump through to make it work will mean
sacraficing the performance increase you get by targeting a specific
platform.

You'd almost be better of running a binary distrib rather than trying to
figure out how to get this working.