On Wed, Nov 1, 2017 at 2:12 PM, Wols Lists <antli...@youngman.org.uk> wrote:

> Windows WON'T SHUT DOWN PROPERLY most of the time.
>
> And something messed up /home.
>
> Easy enough to fix, when I eventually found out the cause. Run fsck on
> /dev/sda8. Re-configure windows to tell it "shut down does NOT mean
> hibernate, damn you!", and finally reboot actually got me into SUSE proper.
>
> But I wish they'd document - and fix!!! - how to get systemd to mount
> drives properly!!!

By "properly" it sounds like you want it to mount filesystems that
were not cleanly unmounted without user intervention, or ignore a
failure to do so?

I think I'll stick with the way it works now.

However, if you want it to boot without warnings if the drive won't
cleanly mount you can just add a nofail option to fstab for the
filesystem.  Then your system will just continue booting without the
filesystem mounted if the linux mount command wouldn't mount it with
the normal invocation.  And then you get to clean up after whatever
daemon goes writing stuff in the empty mountpoint.

I imagine systemd is dropping to a recovery console in these
situations because most sysadmins want to know when a filesystem is
not cleanly mounting, and continued operation in this state is
unpredictable.  I'm sure it could be overriden if you really wanted
to...

--
Rich