On Thursday, November 9, 2017 8:34:16 PM CET Mick wrote:
> On Thursday, 9 November 2017 19:22:29 GMT J. Roeleveld wrote:

> > > Does it always fault in exactly the same spot?
> > >
> > > If not...
> > >
> > > When I've run into "random" gcc segfaults when compiling very large
> > > programs, it's always been a hardware problem.  Every time except one,
> > > it was failing RAM.
> > >
> > > I'd run memtest86 overnight.
> >
> > Also check it is not overheating.
> > The one time I had random gcc segfaults was when I accidentally forgot
> > decent airflow for the CPU about 20+ years ago.
> >
> > --
> > Joost
>
> Thanks Joost, it seems like random fault.  I hope it is not faulty RAM -
> after 4 years of no evident problems.  Anyway, I rebooted and the second
> time the compile completed without error.  :-/
>
> This PC has a Zalman CPU cooler, the heat sink of which I flattened out to
> make sure it makes good contact with the CPU surface.  It will not show
> above 45-46.5°C even when running cpuburn on all cores.

Mine couldn't get rid of the hot air at all...
The SCSI-controller was in the bottom PCI-slot.
The flat-ribbon cable was going nicely straight up
The CPU was between the cable and the front of the case... Nowhere for hot air
to go (unless you count a little gap)

That was solved by drilling vent-holes in the case-cover. (Case was basically
cast-iron...)

--
Joost